Wednesday, June 5, 2013

So, is it Here?

Summer - could it really be? Even if only in feeling, does this smell in the air like that of a tropical milieu exotic to fall-through-spring New England. It's soil and it's sweet; humid and hankering for long days to come.
So I rise to work, working so hard to do so. I garden and greet the bites of mosquitoes and fruits of my fights with a particularly leggy vine. Bike to the farm to share in its farm shares.
Food tasting good, simple with salt and pepper...


Cook, clean, and feed this insatiable hunger for fresh and green.
Oh, early summer in the valley and things are good - life is free - no, never easy, that just isn't the life for me.

Anyhow, where was I? Yes, the food - always the food. Well, despite a finicky knee and less running than I feel fitting, I must profess summer does make me savor for simmering sauces and deep iced teas. Spicy cravings? Well for that, I'm again experimenting with Kimchi. Lunch after work? Oatmeal and eggs are cheap and easy on the wallet and pallet. Stirfry and rice, steamed and sweet.

Done twice? Add more eggs and a splash of kale...

I refuse to let this season slip through my hands...


Kimchi Redux


  • One head of Bok Choi, 2 or 3 spicy Raddish, Scallions diced finely, and a carrot: well one for the jar and one me.
  • Fish sauce splashed sparingly, Thai Chili paste: a quarter cup to three. Salt and pepper, Garlic dicedand Ginger sliced.
  • All things considered, sliced small and the same; mixed and let to sit.
  • Sterile jars, filled but not packed, room temperature until spur to taste, then chilled to keep for months, days - hours most likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment