Sunday, August 4, 2013

These Days

It seems harder and harder
The soaking, the mixing, fry pans sauteeing
Especially, and most sadly my baking.
I know for a fact, I still love a light crumb
A wafting scent of bread and butter
Or the crackle and bubbling of a stove-top
Something.

It takes a village to villify
Just me to venerate
Both to enjoy a dinner party
While fighting my fears
Sweetening this distaste.

So I thought I'd use that fish, those tortillas, some salt
Cilantro, Red rice, Black Beans, no faults.

Loosely inspired by The Times Salsa Verde
A Good Meal's grilled fish
Garnished with Avocado, Sweet Mango, and fresh slaw
Good friends, some wine, night air
Maybe I'm just fine
If only for a time.

Tomatillo Salsa
A sole clove of Garlic, roasted-minced, added to the called-for:
6 Tomatillos, blanched and minced
1/2 onion, diced small
a few tablespoons of lime juice, less is more...
1/4 cup Cilantro, pepper, and salt to taste
Some water to your liking and help to blend
Next time: diced chiles, roasted or fresh.
Pureed in blender, too thin to call salsa, reduced for a time to your liking


Simple Grilled Mahi
Marinated in a light mix
Salt, pepper, Cilantro, and lime
Some olive oil, diced onion, pepper flakes, and time.
Grilled until firm, 3 minutes to a side, hopefully leaving some char marks
Few are fine; Better juicy than over-timed.

Serve family style your garnish and fish - some chicken was used, to shore up the dish -
Rice and Beans - simmered with cilantro and salsa, salt and lime - seperate but equal
Red Rice (whole grain!) this time.

I wish I'd enjoyed it.
Was it fear? Certainly.
Of food, flavor, reception, each calorie?
I can't say but see them clearer by the day.
Victory at hand?
Just maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment